A Letter from Darin Long, Superintendent (and Fellow Parent)
It is no secret: The culture in which we grew up is vastly different from the culture our children experience today. Surrounded by worldly influences, our children struggle to be “in the world but not of it.” We as parents struggle to protect them from the world, knowing that we cannot protect them from every negative influence.
Perhaps a small part of that is what brought you to Christian Academy. We can limit what our children watch on television. We can limit what they see and hear in our homes. We can put filters on our computers, but the best filter is one that develops and matures over a period of years as our children internalize God’s word. That’s what makes us different – a Biblical perspective woven into the fabric of everything we do.
Each day, we as educators witness the challenges of parenting from a Biblical worldview. As part of our response, I decided to develop this parent resource site to engage you in a dialogue as we go through the process of “developing children with a heart for God.”
My intent for this site is to go beyond a simple list of Google links or Amazon books. It is not my intent to tell you how to parent. Rather, I want to engage you in a dialogue about parenting – meeting you where you are today and exposing you to what other parents have learned over time.
Our new site contains hundreds of resources for you on just about any topic you will face in raising children. From bullying to eating disorders to internet dangers, there are books, videos, links, and more to help you navigate the challenging task of raising children in today’s society. Many of the resources are available in our school media centers.
One unique aspect of this site is a series of 2-5 minute videos featuring interviews of our own parents regarding cell phone use, dating, parties, and other relevant topics. To my knowledge, we are the only school to offer this type of format with relevant, interactive content.
Please take a few moments to browse this site as I know you will find it helpful. Even if you are not facing a particular issue, you may find something that you can refer a friend to for help. One web site that I would strongly encourage you to go visit and sign up for their weekly newsletter is connectwithkids.com. I have been getting their weekly articles for over a year and it is the best I have seen in dealing with everyday and difficult teen issues.
Thanks for trusting us to share in the educational and spiritual development of your children.
Additional Parenting Resources
- 16 Ways to Help Your Children Do Well in School
- Biblical Reasons for Sending Children to a Christian School
- Christian Schooling – A Resource for a Rapidly Changing World
- Christian Schooling in a Postmodern Culture
- Christian Schools – Is Your Investment Worth It?
- Defending Your Decision to Send Your Child to a Christian School
- Family Priorities
- Selecting a Christian School for the Right Reasons.
- Shattering a Few Myths About Christian Schools
- Ten Wise Things Parents Do
- The Role of Grandparents in Christian Education
- Why Parents Support Christian Schools
- Back-to-School: A Letter to Me
- The Teenage Brain
Frances E. Jensen, MD
- Christian Academy Parenting Videos
- Christian Academy Parenting Topic Videos
- AXIS – February 2019 Parenting Relationships Summit Podcasts
- Operation PARENT
- Biblical Parenting
- FAMILYLIFE – Help for today. Hope for tomorrow.
- Focus on the Family (Parenting)
- City on a Hill – Get a Father’s Starter Kit
- Manhood Journey
- Manhood Journey – Leader’s Survival Guide
- Manhood Journey – Youth Sports
- Dangerous Phone Apps
- Plugged in Online
- Restoring a Sense of Safety
- Digital Safety: Staying Safe Online
- STOP Cyber Bullying
- Online Reputation Management
- Top 10 Web Filter Reviews
- Teen Literature Reviews
- Survival Guide for Middle School Parents (CAI)
- Southeast Christian Church Students Parent Dashboard – Mental Health