To ignite and transform our students through STEM-related educational experiences and to develop within them a distinct, exciting and personal Kingdom-building perspective as they pursue biomedical science-related fields.
Our Distinction as a Premier STEM Program
Our program is both rigorous and heart-driven – the Christian Academy School of Biomedical Science (SBS) offers a unique approach to learning, combining academics with world-impact application.
Based on course offerings, student involvement and proficiency, and the integration of science within the school, Christian Academy was designated as a “Distinguished High School” by Project Lead the Way (the nation’s premier provider of STEM curriculum) in 2019.
In 2018-2019, Christian Academy became the first and only school in Louisville and one of only three in Kentucky to receive this recognition. In 2019-2020, we became the only school in Louisville to receive this recognition for two years in a row.
Unlike Any Other School
Only Christian Academy offers a life-changing, Christ-centered, service-focused and hands-on approach to the study of biomedicine.
Students will experience:
- Courses that include discovering a crime scene and then spending the rest of the year using forensics, DNA testing and other analytic tools to solve the crime
- Projects such as investigating and designing the emergency room of the future
- Learning from, and even shadowing with, leading medical physicians and other professionals who share a biblical perspective while leading efforts in medical breakthroughs
- Opportunities to personally work alongside local and international (i.e. missionary) organizations in healthcare
- God’s presence as students learn to appreciate His biological design, as well as His purpose for their lives
The school combines six key factors in its curriculum:
- A foundation of the highest quality classes, incorporating traditional, honors and AP science courses
- Four specific biomedical courses that use a collaborative, hands-on problem-solving learning approach integrating forensics, research and real-world scientific challenges
- Practical real-world experiences, including third-world and local medical challenges designed to pull students out of their comfort zone while impacting others
- Direct insights from Christian medical professionals who understand God’s purpose and design and also faith challenges in the world
- A dedicated God-centric understanding of biomedical principles, how God’s design is key to practical application and an appreciation of how to put that knowledge to work in the service of others
- Availability to all students as well as those intending to concentrate in science
Students wishing to take a concentration of science courses in the SBS will earn a diploma distinction reflecting their enrollment in the SBS. In addition to specific coursework, this concentration requires an annual paper and portfolio including insights and reflections on their year, CPR Certification, participation in the Global Missions Health Conference, health service requirements and HOSA membership.
Credits and Preparation for College
College credit for each of the PLTW biomedical courses may be obtained through Missouri University of Science and Technology. Students must earn an A or B in the course as well as score between 6-9 on the PLTW standardized End of Course Exam (EOC).
Credits may then be transferred to the college/university of choice. Because specific courses and requirements vary by university and are subject to change, students should check with their prospective school’s transfer credit office for verification. Some of the area universities accepting PLTW transfer credit include University of Kentucky, University of Louisville and Western Kentucky University. Many other universities also accept PLTW college credit.
Preparation for Life
Courses in SBS are designed to challenge and expand a student’s science knowledge, analytical abilities and critical thinking skills in bringing God-driven service to others. SBS-enrolled students will enjoy teamwork, problem-solving activities and learning experiences that will serve students well in life as well as in key professions. Such occupations may include careers in biomedical engineering, medical research, medicine, pharmacy, physical therapy, clinical laboratory science, forensic science and many others.
Most importantly, students will deepen their appreciation of God as the Creative Designer of our bodies and their perspective on how they can use their God-given abilities and passions to serve others and glorify Him.
Please click on any buttons at the right for more detail information on the program. Questions can also be directed to Jill Blount (email@example.com) at the English Station High School guidance office or SBS teachers Charla Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Delisa Riley (email@example.com).