“Coach Zimmerer has built our golf program into one of the most consistent and successful in the state. He has helped our players to go on and play at the next level, as well as be a mentor to all. The school cannot thank him enough for his time, vision, and dedication,” said Brad Morgan
Coach Greg Zimmerer’s accomplishments & highlights while at CAL include the following:
- Definitely driving to tournaments and the overnight travel with the boys was a huge highlight. I think for 2 years we celebrated Pearson Shafer’s birthday at every restaurant. The silliness of singing songs and pranks in the van will always be a highlight.
- First Tournament Win ‘Big Daddy Classic” in 2015-Seth Phulhpager, Scott Wright, Hayden Zimmerer, Noah Coy, Alex Rabalais. Hayden finished 3rd with a 74 and our team shot 312. We took the team trophy into McDonalds and they gave us free fries!
- Coaching my son Hayden in two state championships. Finishing 3rd his senior year is something I will always
- The 2017 team got off to a rough start and I took the boys swimming as a team building exercise. Things really turned around for that team after the team building experience.
- 2018 Jared Davis eagled his last hole in regionals to qualify individually to go to state. That time with him and his family was a wonderful experience I will never forget.
- 2021—Getting to coach Grace Walker and Hannah Talbott is one of my greatest highlights. Both of those young
ladies made it to the KHSAA Girls State Championship. They were so much fun to coach and to watch play great golf. Very proud of both of them and they went on to play college golf.
- Winning our first ever regional golf championship in 2021 in a 3-team playoff after Matthew Troutman made a 60 foot chip for eagle on the last hole. One of the most exciting regional championships ever in the 6th region!
- 2022—13 team wins, 5 individual tournament wins, 2A State Championship and the CAL’s first ever KHSAA Team and Individual State Championship
Having Mr. Imlay was the key to me becoming a better coach. I stunk it up the first 3 years. Mr. Imlay taught me so much on how to connect with each player individually so as to help them to become better players. He was also my basketball coach in 1985 🙂
I would like to thank Cora with her help on everything. She’s the best and she doesn’t take any nonsense from anyone. We couldn’t have run the Battle of the Bluegrass (BOB) without her.
Brad has always been so supportive of me and my teams. I can’t remember him ever saying no to any of my requests. He set the bar high for all coaches. I remember his first year as AD, he challenged all of us to go out and win state championships. He also told us to help our players see Christ in our actions and through community service. His words inspired me to honor all seniors from schools playing in the BOB with some words of wisdom and a small gift to show our appreciation for senior golfers across the state. Thanks Brad for all your support.